Random

Tuesday 10 July 2012

in search of lost time

(Signal of two sine functions, one with increasing and second with decreasing frequency)

People have often asked how I find the time to maintain regular posts on this blog as well as working my job and helping to raise a family. The answer has always been by simply making the most of those small moments of time that I could grab here and there, helped by the desire to write the best reviews I could and to converse with others about all things bookish. Finding that time recently has become almost impossible and something in me feels uncomfortable about posting rushed or sub-standard reviews for the sake of maintaining a self-imposed timetable.

I want to be able to tell you properly why reading my latest Sebald was disorientating, confusing and yet also confirmed him to be essential reading. I want to be able to take the time required to describe the  miasmic experience of reading László Krasznahorkai's extraordinary Satantango (but fear that that time will never come and my abilities will always fall short). I want to express my disappointment with a promising author, my frustrations with an exciting one, the joys of a modern classic, the exhausting experience of voicing an audio-book of number9dream; all of these things and more. But the truth is that I'm struggling to even maintain my pithy exchanges on Twitter.

So, I'm not saying goodbye - yet - but you may find my posts becoming a little more sporadic. It would be great if you followed me on Twitter (@iwilltweet) where I can at least give a quick idea of how I'm finding my current reads, direct you towards great reviews of those books and holler like crazy when I actually post something on here. In the meantime of course there is an archive of reviews here stretching back almost five years so please use the index on the right to search for authors of interest and always feel free to comment as I'll always make time to reply.

Huge thanks to everyone who has visited, left comments and helped to make blogging such a fulfilling experience. I never expected it to develop the way it has when I began that sleepless night shortly before the birth of my first son and I'm certain I would have capitulated many years ago if it hadn't been for you reading and responding, so thank you.

As I say, this isn't goodbye, it's more like see you later.


See you later,

Will x


Oh, and just to negate my point entirely, there will be a new review up here next Tuesday...


6 comments:

Unknown 10 July 2012 at 20:12  

I'm increasingly struggling to find the time to write reviews too, so I know exactly how you feel. I hope that you continue to blog whenever you have the time. Good luck with everything!

stujallen 10 July 2012 at 20:25  

I struggle loads Will ,I write quick I can bang out 700 words in a hour or two ,I don't know how you do it my shifts mess my rhythm and your job is so much harder ,all the best stu look forward a return at some point

William Rycroft 10 July 2012 at 21:40  

Thanks both of you. You know how it is of course, a constant labour of love for all bloggers I think. I hope that it will only mean that the very best books will be covered by me here, the least I can do for myself is to release the pressure of having to review everything I read. Luckily I have a week away from work this week so I shall try and write a little in the evening if I can. Rest assured there will be more reviews here soon.

kimbofo 12 July 2012 at 10:08  

I understand completely. I don't have a family to raise, but in between freelancing and scrabbling around trying to find more freelancing gigs, I often lack the energy to blog. I'm not a quick writer — my reviews can take hours and sometimes DAYS to craft — and then typically three days after I've posted them I spot all the typos!

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Max Cairnduff 24 July 2012 at 14:05  

And here I thought you'd started blogging Proust!

Time is always a challenge. Better to pick and choose and do a few in a way you're happy with than to try and catch them all, but not in a way you're happy with.

Love the second para.

William Rycroft 26 July 2012 at 10:02  

I can't think of anything I am less likely to blog about right now than Proust!

Maybe 50 Shades...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP